First Trip Away From Brook-N-Wood

Well we did it! Sarah and I anyways. We hitched up the trailer and crossed the Hudson River to go camping in Jellystone Park Campground, Birchwood Acres, , for two nights. It was part of a Daddy/Daughter (or Son) camping trip with my work friends. We had a great time and got a very good site. Jellystone felt a lot more wooded than BNW and it had so many activities for the kids. They have fire truck rides, hayrides and activities involving the characters pretty much every hour.


Sarah was the youngest one there of the work kids but had no problems keeping up with them, swimming in the splash park  and playing in all the different playgrounds. I didn’t take my other two younger kids as I thought taking care of Sarah and the trailer was more than enough for me to handle on my own.

The first evening there was a terrific thunderstorm and the sky lit up! It sounded like the storm was stuck directly over us for hours and the kids seemed to enjoy the chaos as the dads struggled to batten everything down. No grilling tonight as we ordered about ten pizza pies for everyone. Unfortunately a large tree came down just outside the campground and left us without power for the next 30 or so hours. No worries as it was restored just before we checked out. Haha. We did manage to have a lot of fun in spite of everything.

Sun RV Resorts has done even more work to their pool area since the trip and you can check out their link above. Seems like they added a new pool area and water slides.

Funny story though: Upon packing up the trailer I noticed my wedding ring was missing. I retraced my steps, checked the splash park, had the lifeguards comb the pool,etc. I tore apart the trailer and checked the whole site all while looking after a three year old. I finally had to give up and hope for the best. I had to get back to BNW and then get Sarah back home as I had work the next day. Upon leaving I notified the staff at the front desk and left my information. As I drove away my stomach was in knots. I felt as if I had left part of my soul at that campground. My only hope was for the ring to show up in the pool filter or something.

When I got back to BNW, upon hooking back up, I slipped my hand into my work glove (the one I use to handle the sewer hose) and immediately felt something. It was the ring! I had taken the glove off at Jellystone and the ring had gotten stuck and stayed inside the glove. I had to call everyone back, including my wife and tell them of the news. I was too happy to be embarrassed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: